Tuesday, February 18, 2014

When we got to Barbados

Barbados
Flat
Hot
White sands
Clear water
Love rum and banks beer
beach gallo

So after California I was off to New York beautiful city, most the time when I walked my head was facing up looking at buildings people from Queens to Brooklyn to Madison square so much to see, I would walk for hours getting lost one night on a Friday I took a wrong turn I walked so much at some point I sat down and cried after crying I smiled and asked for directions, I had fun there too and I met a good friend from South Africa I didn’t even know him and his girl had moved to NY beautiful pleasant surprise. As for the subway what an experience I couldn’t help think that maybe people don’t really mind not having trees and open spaces because they spend so much time under the subway it didn’t matter what was happening outside, no thank you I will die from cluster phobia. I had a show in  a restaurant called Madiba it was good to be there they had all kinds of South African made products like the chutney Mrs Balls,Marie biscuit the blue label.Ouma Rusks and so much more it was warm and friendly place.
 Soon it was time up and I was ready to leave the United States, when I arrived in the States oh my the possibilities of seeing the world are right before and here I am country/island /continent hopper I embrace it with its good and its bad and have greater faith in thouse that guide and lead me in my journey.. I wish I had some of my friends to explore with me because I see something so exciting and no one to share it at that particular moment.
It’s perfectly fine though because I get to know the place I find myself in better, to answer my questions.

So when I as in Oakland I befriended some awesome sisters Effie and Tsedal we got along beautifuly their kindness affirmed my journey is some way and they helped me in ways they can’t imagine.
So Tsedi ended up in Barbados for her intern for 6 months and toward the end of her 6 months she told us to come over for the reggae festival and the rest of us Effie and her cousins we decided we going their and we did.
They stayed a week and I stayed 6 months.So when I left NY it was cold little did I know about Barbados(because I googling takes out the mystery of what im getting myself in too, truthfully peoples experiences doesn’t mean it would be yours dive deep and swim up I say. belief).Any way we land slowly we getting of this flat island when I got to the door I droped my hand luggage everything and the hostess was like mam you cant stand by the door I’m like ‘I’m not standing im melting’I swear even my jacket felt goowy from the heat so they stood and let me strip off my wardrobe and that heat even in the rain was there for the whole 6 months, I think I could have fallen twin to my brother the way my complexion changed.
I had to figure out survival I learnt never say never1coming from South Africa one job I said that I will never do is being a cleaner/domestic worker and that’s what I ended up doing to make ends meet to an extent for a short time I started writing cleaning philosophies’ also did art work with children teaching them to make musical instruments using recyclbe goods that was fun and they were beautiful children.
Here I learnt about provisions (ground/root vegtables) noni (drink it, smear on your face etc)flying fish ooh tasted so good. I then there’s the macaroni pie served as a side alongside rice and brown or black beans was renting a room in a 2 bedroom outside house across me was Miss Laurraine from Guyana she made my heart smile almost like she knew when I needed comfort cos she would be knocking on my door early in the morning to offer me food she was awesome and the daughter of the house hold was a chef I helped her with some of her catering gigs, she can cook they call her Rebel Glam Cupcake Queen such a great baker I told her she should do her own version of cake boss.
The thing about diving deep and swimming up you meet all kinds of things on your way to some I became the poor African feed it cloth it my word some of the stuff people gave me I was like yho, yes I am a young black woman traveling alone im not a charity case maybe help me get a job than give stuff you yourself wouldn’t be caught dead wearing, other the overwhelming need to advise me about all kinds of things(best advise you can ever give is no advise, trust people to make their own decisions!) at times made me tell them ok listen up I dint leave my brain on top of the table when I left Africa please step back abit!…but I took it all  with a smile cos people where being kind and wanted to be helpful.

Barbados is a beautiful Island, the beaches and white sands; it’s quit flat hardly any mountains just hills. I made some really good friends there and had some good fun amongst other things maybe when I write a book I will include all that was experienced.
 I learnt a lot and realised a lot about me. I redefined hunger, I had to seek strengths I didn’t know I have in some way I felt as though I went through initiation, redefined hunger and loneliness(which is a hand in hand combo while I travel thus far and I was glad when it was time to go.

The history of the place is very strong (story for another day!)The island should have a National cleansing I think.
While I was there though I performed a few times and wrote a play which was an all Bajan Cast called Princess Magogo “the rise of a star” based on a true story. It was hard work but it paid of the production was a success the director Sonia S Williams is an extraordinary director such a positive spirit to be around.
I think Barbados has the fastest busses in the world!!!! At first I thought buses from Oesteins and St James where fast  I was wrong St john buses my word took the trophy and its because St John is in the country and no rotraffic so busses have the whole road every time I left the bus depo I could hear the mock hostess in my head saying ladies and gentleman we are about to take of pleas fasten your seat belts or the Astra nought  count down lift of in 4 3 2 1 then on other days it felt like I was in a sport car and I tensly with a touch of excitement wait for a parachute to pop up at the back of the bus all this eventually led me to believe I have a thing for adrenaline rush, at times I made It known that the speed was not necessary surprisingly people would be like we want to get home faster..aah that should have been my first to lead me to the understand what I deam wrong is not necessary the case at some point I had to admit I as Thobekile do not know nothing about nothing all my wrongs and rights where questioned and turned upside down such was the Bajan experience. My bus rides where something to look forward to I also liked the yellow buses they I learnt a lot about music artists ive never heard off and sounded good and the strange posters in the buses, I saw latest fashion and hair dos that left my mouth wide open at times I couldn’t help but to burst out laughing. Thoughts and feelings provoked constantly.
You know I also thought Chines are number one on the chart of Karaoke nope I think Bajans take the badge Wednesday to Sunday there is bound to be a bar with Karaoke I know this cos I went to  a few myself J and it’s a serious thing because if you flicked thought the local channel on a Friday you wont miss Karaoke of all ages and all kinds of voices, determined and proud.
When it rains it pours!!when its hot its hoooot.

My African-ness was embraced as equally as it was attacked, peoples ignorance of Africa or lack of knowledge of the connection between the Carribean and Africa disturbed be greatly for the highly educated Island my word things that people said left me dumb founded yet determined to share some light.” Why did you sell us”500 years later we are lucky to be sold look at Africa now” etc. These where my hmm moments, it stabbed deep in me buuuuut as much as I met these ignorant people I also met people with great reasoning and similar thinking and I think my music played a role in giving another perspective, I had radio and tv interviews and when I walked the streets those who recognised me call out on the street,  yho Africa you good? I left feeling that Barbados is a hard place on the heart for the seeking soul, we might not find answers we are looking for but we get answers. I received help and I realise when I need it I have it.
Bajan negotiate themselves differently in their space African Americans can be aggressive Bajans they just shut you out and that is the consequence of history handed to them in the island more often than not I was reminded a lot that that Barbados was the making and breaking of the slaves centre and that Willy Lynch is from their originally, shivers down my spine when I went to a place where they use to brand female salves in St John there was just a lot of things happening there in my spirit in general.
For my art being in Babrbados helped me strengthen the foundation for my profile but since I am still travelling with no finances at least with a creative profile I can get invited to countries for performances or workshops. I did a beautiful photo-shoot and managed to go to studio and record 2 of my songs.

I am truly grateful for the families I met and who took good care of me heart felt gratitude and I carry you in my heart.

If you ever in Barbados check out Jagos Bar and Grill and The good life they were my 2 favourite spots so much beauty all around. I had some good times and lovely collaborations with local artists it was a wonderful experience. I met the Mighty Gabby and we shared a stage twice, local designer Iam Rhaj founder of the evolve brand good quality tshirts and just plain good people him and his partner. I also got to do food collaboration with Rebel Glam Cupcake Queen I had a good experience of culture exchange.
One day I will write a whole chapter about Barbados. What I wish I did was record escents so far I am loving the Bajan accent like all things you get use to it and steadily understand people talking to you,its English but maybe a tone shy in sounding like actual English, which I realise people have various languages and call it English I again I am forced to say I don’t know nothing I myself am not sure at this rate if I even know English. Yo should check out a book called Pauline’s Bajan adventures she was in Babrbado’s for 3 years so she had a longer experiance than me but I relate so much to what she mentions cos I went through the same if not similar experience it’s a fun easy read.
You see the good people we meet become the catalyst we need to move forward so we embrace the good and the bad the journey brings.


Love and light
 




 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment